On-/Off-topic (was: Re: [ox-en] word social forum/stallman/patents)

Hi list!

2 days ago Benni Baermann wrote:
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:02:52PM -0800, Kermit Snelson wrote:
Just a quick note to the lurkers that I have chosen to respond to Graham and
John off-list.  If anybody else is interested in a critical discussion of
Negri and Hardt, I'd welcome pointers to a forum that is more specific to
that topic and that is either private or moderated.

For me this is perfect on topic here. And i would like it to read your
mails about this.

For me too. Interestingly enough Negri's Empire just popped up on the
German list and there were a reference to a (interesting) Hardt
article some weeks ago.

When I'm at it just a word about on-/off-topic. This list is about
Free Software and it's possible social implications including the
possibility of a new society. IMHO that needs to be the root of all
discussions here. On the German list - and I think in general when
looking at such a broad topic - it makes sense to follow threads /
thoughts thoroughly even if they leave the root. Until now my
impression is, that people here have a very good feeling for what is
on- and off-topic :-) .

Of course there are lots of topics which are off-topic. For instance a
discussion about the Russian revolution with absolutely no link to
Free Software - which I could at least imagine to exist ;-) - I'd
consider off-topic. Or trying to sell a used car to mention something
rather absurd.

Flames are not off-topic but they are simply bad, disruptive and keep
people from telling openly what they think - which is poison for any
fruitful discussion. Fortunately we didn't have these either :-) .