Re[2]: [ox-en] a flame of sorts

Hello Graham,
Thanks for your reply.

I must apologize for taking some time with replying- flu.

Also, my tone must sound harsh to some people on the list, my
apologies.

It's just that I for one have no compassion, no understanding and no
forgiveness for empty theorizing that i have noticed some people on
the list indulge in. I'll skip the usuall talk about how little time
we have and how we have to face corruption, the media, corporations,
bla-bla-bla. Like you Graham said, most people on the list are
converted. And thus i asked for this list's opinion on what real
action are they taking and what they think should be done.
So far, no reply has been given

Some might say that my tone has put people off.

I don't think so. It's hard to put someone off if they are working on
something - to diss them so bad that they won't  just say-
 look, this is what i'm doing, this is how it's
going to affect society.

So far, i haven't heard any reply of that sort.
If anyone on the list thinks that direct action is the most important
thing, i ask them to respond to me with their examples.

"But what are you Petr doing," some might ask?
Some, i'll answer.

=I'll have to skip on the culture jamming part, because it's fun
enought for those of us participating in it that we don't need to
share our little joys. OK, it's also illegal.
Suffice to say that some leading web portals and not just
have been defaced completely and inundated with provocative
 banners by individuals certainly
unknown to me /smile/ and some other actions...

=I am working on a virtualperson module VirBot in perl that will allow
multiple applications to communicate with other applications.

Think education, think virtual character, think unicode, think
provocation,

think personal virtual  sex slave /no that's
just for me /smile/

I am getting ready to put it on source forge.

=I also write for a variety of open-source publications in russa.

=As for open source in Russa.
It's there. But we have to work on self-organizing.
As many in the open source world, i believe that there has to be a
certain level  of financial independence before a developer can start
doing open-source on their own. Or a bunch of angel investors.

Both are lacking in russia.

Most people in russia simply cannot do what Linus did while working on
Linux- stay at their mother's apartment for free and code,- though it is
many a developers dream /smile/ They HAVE to work.

On one hand, russians have a long history of not getting paid for
their work, on the other, they can't do the service part which is how
a lot of people in open source in the west are surviving- selling books and giving
speeches.
Some developers find a solution by giving away code to russians while
selling it to foreigners.
THere are even a couple that do the traditional open source gig quite
nicely- they start a website, release some code, write a book, and
start teaching.

Also, despite all the hype linux is getting, bsd licenses are better
for russian developers for obvious reasons- they can sell resulting
code.

So the two most important things for russians right now is learning
english and seeing more and more practicall implications of
open-source.

All the Best, Petr.

PS sorry it took some time to reply- flu.

--
Best regards,
 petr                            pomorov mail.ru