Re: [ox-en] writings on the problems of standardisation of Open Source software ?

Hi Zeljko!

5 days ago Zeljko Blace wrote:
Does anyone know a good essay/txt on the subject of
non-standar/toomany standards development in OpenSource?

Is this the case? Free Software particularly tends to respect
standards. All the Internet standards together with the W3C standards
are basically Free development.

Basicly I am looking for txts like "the best software that never was..."
but from the perspective of practical issues why Linux
is so hard to get to average Joe's desktop...

I guess this has little to do with GNU/Linux but more with the fact,
that if you buy a computer you already have payed your M$ tax and
thus have a rather limited access to some software.

heaving 20 PIM, hundreds of e-mail softwares, desktop themes
and so ... and still not heaving a good cut-an-paste across
applications.

Sorry, but this is simply not the case. Lately I installed a SuSE 7.3
and after the really simple installation - *I* was astonished how
simple things are todays - you are presented with KDE 2 and all you
need to start working including a working Internet access, sound and
printer. And KDE seems pretty well-known to Windows users.

Of course you *may* choose differently if you like - that's part of
your freedom, but with modern distributions you can simply rely on
what others decided.