Re: [ox-en] Capitalism, GNU Oekonux

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, johan soderberg wrote:

I believe our riposte has well illustrated the credit
of having a conversation between people that shares
some common definitions. I'm not interested in
discussing capitalism from the 'Adam Smith' viewpoint,
because I do not believe in it, and I do not wish to
spend time arguing against it. Sorry.

/Johan

Hmm... Russell has been on this list since near it's beginning, has given
some useful links to relevant information and activities, and has never
picked an argument with anyone... Your reply sounds a little harsh (maybe
an effect of the medium). Writing free software isn't blocked by political
differences, I don't see why talking about it should be. I agree that a
discussion about 'which is right: libertarianism or marxism' is pointless,
and would never reach a conclusion, but I didn't see Russell try to
convince anyone his was the only correct viewpoint... For me, at bottom,
this list is about free software and its relationship with the wider
world, and any discussion of it with someone who's both actively involved
and politically literate is interesting.  As or more interesting than the
n-th discussion of the exact interpretation of the Grundrisse or whatever,
which I can have elsewhere. Certainly more interesting than the discussion
on the nature of the Soviet state Russell (tongue-in-cheek) suggested..

Graham