Re: [ox-en] Re: Nationalism, protectionism and Free software advocacy, was: Re: [ox-en] Manifiesto para Lula (fwd)

Hi Chris,

Sounds like we have a really basic disagreement here, which we're not
going to get over. However, I'd like at least to split it up into parts.

1. Are laws requiring states to use open-source software (I know it's
my fault for saying 'free software' in this context, when really I should
have said 'open source') for administration, education, etc inherently
nationalist?

My answer would be 'no'.

2. Are those laws nationalist if one of the main motivations is financial
savings?

My answer would be 'no' again.

3. Are those laws nationalist if the saving which is made is of money
which would otherwise be exported to another country?

My answer would be 'no' again.

In general I'd see this was one of the new possibilities opened up
by free software: in the past, globalisation (in the sense of a
harmonization of trading rules for the world, used to gain massive
economic benefits for the leading country(s) - the UK in the last century,
the US in this) could only be opposed economically by nationalism:
the refusal to allow specific imports, combined with attempts to create
(often inefficient) local replacement industries. An example would be
the Brazilian attempt to create a local computer manufacturing industry
in the 80s.
But now, free software allows a genuinely internationalist counter to
globalisation in the sense used above. It replaces the aspect of
globalization which is simply a means of hoovering up profits for the
leading country(s)/multinationals with genuine co-operation across
borders, without reproducing the exploitation involved in globalization.

4. Is nationalism always bad?

We're definitely not going to agree on this one - I'd say it depends
what you mean by it, and what the specific case is. I think you'd just
say 'yes'. But I don't think this list is the place for that argument.