Re: [ox-en] Re: Nationalism, protectionism and Free software advocacy, was: Re: [ox-en] Manifiesto para Lula (fwd)

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 02:58:55PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Chris Croome wrote:
Hi

On Sat 25-Jan-2003 at 07:38:39PM -0500, Graham Seaman wrote:

Could you say more about why you feel it's a bad thing?

I don't think that nationalism is ever progressive, I don't think
that there is such a thing as 'good nationalism'. I feel exactly the
same way about religion. These are things that are endlessly
exploited by those in power in order to divide and rule.

I agree with this. But there is something like harmless religion and
maybe some rare cases of harmles nationalism (but in this case i am
not shure).

But in brasil free software is not advocated - if i understand
correctly - with nationalist arguments. it is the other way araound:
They argue against MS, because it is american nationalist. and
generall against software-companys from the north. So, they argue for
free software because it is internationalist - so my understanding.

Benni