Re: GFDL (was: Re: [ox-en] [ot:ox-book] Zu Projekt 'ox-book')

Stefan Merten wrote:
On Monday 20 January 2003 11:44, MJ Ray wrote:
I think the GFDL would allow the publisher to add
non-removable texts to the book. Is that correct?

Sure. Everyone may add everything to any Free Stuff. That is the
concept of Free Software.

The point about non-removable text is that you may not remove it-- i.e. it places a restriction on the ways you may modify software. This is allowed in some Free Software, but not in strong copylefts like the GPL-- you could not add code to a program with a "you must not remove this code in modified versions."

Otherwise I could make modifications to a GPL'ed program and release them as adware-- licensing the ad code so that others after me may not remove it again.

-b.