Re: [ox-en] Open Source and Denied Parties

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, auskadi wrote:
And I saw this with a nice bold yellow background:

 * This source code is subject to the U.S. Export Administration
    Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or
    re-exported to certain countries (currently Afghanistan (Taliban
    controlled areas), Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and
    Syria) or to persons or entities prohibited from receiving U.S.
    exports (including Denied Parties, entities on the Bureau of
    Export Administration Entity List, and Specially Designated
    Nationals).
Sort of funny approach ... "the source shall be free but only free to
those that the Bush/Cheny Junta tell us are free"....

IANAL, but this is not really an issue as long as it is not part of the
license. Mozilla.org is just telling you how US law is, and it is, as you
might guess, completely FUBAR.

So a US citizen is not allowed to 'export' the sources to, say, a Syrian
national, but I could set up a download for him where he could get it,
since I am not under US jurisdiction.

  - Per