Re: [ox-en] Re: OHA/ODA in English AND Englisch - nein!

hi stefan, hi benni, hi list

> OrganizationDominionAnarchism

i've read the threads and i have a feeling for what this string of words is about; my instinct is to approve ;)

however, i'm not able to grasp what thing this name is trying to describe ?

i've included at the end of this email the list of word equivalents for 'Herrschaft' in an attempt to try and agree a suitable english terminology equivalent for OHA [1]

Benni Baermann wrote:

> Das Problem ist, dass die meisten auf der deutschen Liste Englisch
> können, aber ich nur von zwei Leuten auf der englischen Liste weiß,
> die deutsch verstehen. Die Situation ist also nicht wirklich
> symmetrisch und deswegen ist das Verhalten der Leute so schon ganz ok,
> denk ich.

this is a big problem - i think graham is spot on to push the issue though; we have a chance to unfold quite a team if we are able to defeat this language barrier ... and it's not beyond believe ... in this day and age ;)

i think the best place to start is to agree a standard terminology and hence my suggestion re. OHA above

i've picked up through work that practical translation solutions are based on standard terminologies - that is to say, the translators work together to produce a database of commonly used terms - these terms have equivalent and local meaning - no doubt there are many on this list who have far more first hand experience in this field than me

i am conscious that the OHA term may not be a good place to start as it may re-hash old debate - it may be best to leave any unresolved issues re. OHA in this state until something concrete pushes a conclusion - perhaps we can start of with a simple term - any suggestions ?

--
adam

(i've done some checking on the statistics page - there are 250 people in [ox], 90 in [ox-en] - i know these overlap but it would appear we have the resources to at least start such a task)

[1]

Christian Siefkes wrote:

... some dictionary equivalents of 'Herrschaft':

authority
dominance
dominion
governance [pol.]