Re: SpamAssassin and OHA (was: [ox-en] SpamAssassin (was: OHA/ODA in English))

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Casimir Purzelbaum wrote:

I think -- even more than you do -- that alienation is the key
aspect here: Who would need a rule if everybody would know to
behave himself as to not alienate himself from the community of
the people he lives in?  (and if the community would take care of
not alienating itself from itself...)

If there was a "mechanism" ensuring non-alienation you would not
need any rules, but you could observe rules (just as in you can
observe rules in sciences).

In other words, you would replace censorship with self-censorship and
external discipline with internal discipline...

You would also need to remove one of the most obvious features of
free-software-like groups: membership of multiple overlapping groups (I'm
trying to avoid 'community' - too many unrelated 19th century
gemeinschaftlich associations). Because if I'm a member of both software
using groups and a virus-writing group, how do I avoid alienating myself
from 'the group'?

Reluctantly, I find myself on the side of 'rules'. I hope someone will
convince me out of it ;-)

 Graham