Re: [ox-en] Fwd: self-unfolding - Selbstenftaltung - self valorisation

Hi Martin,

[Annette: v. ende dieses email]

Some not-very-helpful things from me:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Martin Hardie wrote:

but the relationship between:

self-unfolding - Selbstenftaltung AND self valorisation

Has anyone thought any more about this? Anyone read any more Ngri derived
stuff about  self valorisation????

Where is the best place to find a definition of what Stefam Merten calls
self-unfolding ("Selbstenftaltung")???

You should find some more on the archives of this list. And lots more
on the archive of the german list. As far as I know, never translated.
If there is any single German text which explains this I will get my
dictionary out and put some work into translating it.. Anyone?

<silliness on>
In the meantime, I found this:
http://www.kwmap.net/selbstentfaltung.html

I'm not quite sure whether this is better or worse than (for Adam):
http://www.kwmap.net/diamat.html

(the page names are generated on the fly, they're just a rewrite
of the query as far as I can see.)
<off>

Does "Selbstenftaltung" come from Marx and if so where??

no, it doesn't. As far as I know, Negri's 'self-valorization' is a
translation of 'selbstentwertung', which is in Marx, but
'selbstentfaltung' is a different term, never used by Marx; I think
someone once said on this list that the term came from a German school of
psychology. And even for 'self-valorization' Marx talks more about the
'self-valorization of capital' than of people; 'value' is too loaded a
word in Marx to be able to repurpose 'valorization' easily.

The closest I've found to an article just about selbstentfaltung is one by
Annette Schlemm (who's active on the German list)

 http://www.opentheory.org/feminismen/v0001.phtml

Adam, is your German good enough to read that? I think the topic/context
would interest you. If someone could tell me whether that piece was a
relevant/completed one on the topic, I would try to translate it (would
need to sort out the licensing with Annette first, though).

Can  Selbstenftaltung be translated as self valorisation???

I don't think it would be a good translation.

Graham

I have this:
http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0104/msg00127.html

SM: With GPL society we describe a society beyond capitalism. The main
difference is, that this society is no longer based on exchange and
exchange value and thus the term labor doesn't make much sense any longer.
Instead the basis of this new society will be the individual
self-unfolding ("Selbstenftaltung") combined with self-organization and
global cooperation. Goods in this society are not sold but simply
available and taken by those who need them. Of course such a society is
difficult to imagine for people who grew up with only money on their mind.

Martin

--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which
is a virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something
that certainly exists or happened." Bishop Otto to Baudolino in Umberto Eco's
Baudolino.