[ox-en] Autonomy and dependece (was: Re: Autonomy)

Hi Franz and all!

6 days ago Franz Nahrada wrote:
Stefan Merten wrote
To me autonomy means the ability to depend on nobody else. So
"autonomy-in-interdependence" to me is a contradiction.

Maybe for you, but there are other ways to see things.

Since we are talking about notions I thought it would be indeed useful
what others think about this word:

  Webster on autonomy:

    1 : the quality or state of being self-governing; especially: the
	right of self-government

    2 : self-directing freedom and especially moral independence

    3 : a self-governing state

  Wikipedia on autonomy:

    Autonomy (Greek: Auto-Nomos - nomos meaning "law": one who gives
    oneself his own law) means freedom from external authority.

	* Autonomous entity, in politics, a a subnational entity

	* [...]

	* [...]

	* [...]

	* Within self-determination theory in psychology, autonomy
          refers to 'autonomy support versus control', "hypothesizing
          that autonomy-supportive social contexts tend to facilitate
          self-determined motivation, healthy development, and optimal
          functioning."

	* Autonomy is a concept found in moral, political, and
          bioethical philosophy. Within these contexts it refers to
          the capacity of a rational individual to make an informed,
          uncoerced decision. In moral and political philosophy,
          autonomy is often used as the basis for determining moral
          responsibility for one's actions. In medicine, respect for
          the autonomy of patients is considered obligatory for
          doctors and other healthcare professionals.

	* Learner autonomy, in education, an individual awareness of
          one's potentials and strategies to take better advantage of
          one's learning context

	* [...]

And also quite interesting:

  Wikipedia on autonomism:

    Autonomism can refer to:

	* a set of left-wing movements historically bound-up with
          Italian Autonomist marxism.

	* Autonomism may refer to a relatively right-wing ideology
          that values the independence of the individual, most notably
          the right of every individual to own a small piece of
          tax-free land. It is often associated with federalism and/or
          libertarianism.

	* [...]

So my quick definition doesn't meet much of what is said here - may be
mostly the right-wing autonomism listed above. I was simply wrong on
the exact meaning of this word. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll use autonomy in the sense of self-governing. As such I think
capitalism already has large potentials of autonomy. For instance
corporations are self-governing as are individuals - including being
free to give up part of their autonomy in exchange for money.

I think a certain degree of autonomy is even an essential condition of
Selbstentfaltung.

Certainly. It's absolutely essential. However, as I understand
autonomy now it has nothing to do with being dependent (or not). I
think Michel was right in the first place that
"autonomy-in-interdepence" is a good thing. Indeed I could imagine
that "autonomy-in-interdepence" is a good description of
Selbstentfaltung if thought on a societal level.

Again, sorry for the confusion. After all I gave a definition which
could have been pointed out as being wrong.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.