Directing Free Projects (was: Re: [ox-en] mozilla use of money)

Hi Michel and all!

2 months (83 days) ago Michael Bouwens wrote:
Innovative in this utopian scheme, was the integration of
consumers in  the decision-making process of enterprises.

AFAICS in Free Software there is at least some integration of the
users (I'd prefer this over consumers here).

In other
words, they would  be co-owned by producers and consumers.

I'm not sure whether the concept of ownership is useful here.

I think that this is a very valid point. The community in free
software  should not just be those that contribute, but those that
use it.

I'd like to emphasize that the word Free Software community is a bit
dangerous. I don't think there is some clear notion here but one big
grey area.

And this is reflected in - AFAICS - the way Free Software projects are
"directed". There is a core team of people which contributes most and
around this there are people with some to no contributions. IMHO this
nicely reflects different ways to get involved in a project. Not
everyone wants to get fully involved in a project but may like to
participate here and there - precisely at those points where things
are important for her/him.

No, this is not equality and far from democracy. But since (Doubly)
Free Software projects have no external motivation like money there is
at least no alienated reason to *not* care for users wishes.

This  avoids any selfishness in policy making. The market
then becomes the  internal dialogue of the community, rather than
an external impersonal  mechanism.

Yes, but I'd not call it market then. It's a process and it has to do
with governance / directing.

BTW: Steven Weber in "The Success of Open Source" has some interesting
ideas and insights on these topics.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.