Re: Simply and Doubly Free Software (was: [ox-en] Oekonux introduction)

I agree with your main point. That pure doubly free
software is by definition better, is something that
needs to be empirically proven.

My intuition is that it is better at some things, and
private production better at other things, so that in
some cases, combinations might be fruitful.

Michel

--- Stefan Seefeld <seefeld sympatico.ca> wrote:

Michael Bauwens wrote:
Dear Stefan,

Some question:

 - what makes you sure that pure modes of doubly
free
software are of superior quality that hybrid
models
with support from an ecology of corporations,
which
may include paid developers, as for Linux.

That's a very interesting question. I think the
common answer
would be that Free developers write better software
due to
superior motives.
However, I'd like to see some real discussion about
this point
that doesn't take for granted / as an assumption
something it
actually wants to prove. :-)

Was Linux better before they got involved?

Certainly not. But it's also hard to turn back and
wonder how it would have evolved without the
participation
of commercial entities.

Regards,

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at  http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm