Re: [ox-en] Awards

Hi Franz, Michel, Alex, Sm?ári, all!

Yesterday Franz Nahrada wrote:
I brought up this idea in the final plenary.

And on [spox] - which I just forwarded here. I'll quote the respective
part here because it contains important aspects.

  > * Award for Outstanding Achievements in Peer Production
  >
  > This is an activity which will force us naturally to deeply consider and
  > evaluate the things that are going on instead of looking at them
  > superficially. The main benefit is that we really have to challenge each
  > other on quality and useability of things and creations instead of
  > reproducing the developers mantra that "my stuff is simply the best
  > because I do it out of fun" (sorry, did not mean to hurt anybody!)

I like the idea especially because it makes us think and requires
in-depth empirical research - or rather this applies to the jury.

  > I suggest we create a Wiki page on this on either the Oekonux Wiki or the
  > P2P wiki and start filling in ideas.
  >
  > ** Categories
  > ** Criteria

The word "best" in all the suggestions is perhaps the hardest thing.
What does "best" mean? Indeed: What is the criteria for "best" after
all? In particular I think the criteria will differ widely between
Oekonux and P2P Foundation. IMHO the criteria is the most important
thing which needs to be solved - otherwise nobody takes you serious
and the award will have no effect.

  > ** Jury Members
  > ** Sponsors
  > ** Organizers

I have discussed that with Peter Weibel and I think the ZKM in Karlsruhe
could be an interesting partner to do this. But there might be MANY other
options because this is exactly what corporations and public
administration seek: visibility, public image....

The question is whether Oekonux / P2P Foundation (at the moment) has
enough visibility, public image for this. Fund raising for the
conference failed miserably and IMHO this is a pretty similar case.

And AFAICS if Peter Weibel sponsors this then it will be *his*
project.

Of couse the jury should be composed from people nominated by Oekonux and
the p2p Foundation....

Yes.

						Gr?ü?ße