Re: Fwd: [ox-en] Talk on "Social economy or peer production? - On the relationship of

Hi Stefan, hi all

Thank you Franz, for your approach to defining social economy, social
businesses and solidarity economy.

Actually, as far as I got to know, in France no clear and/or unambigous
distinction between social and solidarity economy has been drawn.

Personally, I also think, that social economy has only a very limited potential
since most of the time, people understand former state-apparatuses in the
field of social welfare - no privatized (being non-profit or profit) - as "social
eonomy".

Social businesses are of course a neoliberal approach - however, I guess one
can cooperate with some of them in a limited way.

Solidarity economy on the other hand is of course the most promising
approach of all I know. However, I think, that it's potentials only come really
true, if it starts to produce commons.

A wonderful example of such a combination (of many other possible ones) is
Open Source Ecology (which you, Stefan, will know):

http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

regards, Andreas

Hi Stefan,

I forward your letter to Andreas Exner and others heavily involved in
the Solidarity Economy.

We founded a group SOLCOM - Solidarity and the Commons - to deal with
exactly that subject.

You give a lot of definitions on your wiki,

http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/StefanMerten/SocialEconomyOrPeerProduction

so we should read and
comment that, and hopefully support you in the endavour to bring
the role of the commons and peer production into the field.

There are three principal concepts that play a role in this field.
These concepts are complementing and competing at the same time:

SOCIAL ECONOMY:  This refers to everything that adresses poverty and
raises opportunity, many times its the term for the activities of NGOs
performing activities of the social state and act as employers and
service providers. Thats very much within the "state quota" of
indirectly financed activities.

SOCIAL BUSINESS: In sharp distinction this is the answer of the
private sector, small or medium sized or large enterprises that try to
address issues of poverty or meeting needs on a profit based base,
with the caveat that most or all of the profit gets reinvested in the
companies. Grameen Mohammed Yunus is now pushing that concept

SOLIDARITY ECONOMY  This is the only transformative concept, it aims
to establish productive and supportive activities between actors,
especially in a region, that empower and enable as many players as
possible to take over functions in an economic network of relations
which could be monetary or nonmonetary.

You should know that the people above are involved in the creation of
free software tools to map solidarity economy - and these are just
some of them.

Franz