[ox-en] Importance of attention? (Re: New views on gift economy)

Hi Diego and all!

2 weeks (16 days) ago Diego Saravia wrote:
atentional power
=20
thats the value you get in return to give away free software
=20
or share your nude pictures in the web
=20
or write articles in blogs

Thanks for these well thought out examples :-) .

However, I don't think that Free Software authors gain much attention
beyond their respective communities. In fact especially contributors
to small projects AFAICS usually don't receive any attention. And
frankly I think this is nothing Free Software contributors hope for.

This point is even stronger in Wikipedia where you have no reference
to the person who wrote (parts of) an article at all.

So I don't believe that attention is a strong motivator for peer
producers.

atentional power means a lot of things: advertisment, popularity,
recognition, etc

So in this light I'd say:

* Recognition a certain peer producer community: If the project is big
  enough: Yes.

* Advertisement in the form of making money from ads: No.
  Advertisement in the form of adding points to your CV: May be.

* Popularity: No.

What do others think?