[ox-en] Re: Acquiring information goods vs. acquiring physical goods (was: Re: [ox-en] extrinsic motivation = coercion)

2009/6/4 Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>

Hi Diego and all!

BTW @Diego: I love it when you write complete sentences ;-) .

In spanish I work hard  to write really short texts. In english I have
stronger reasons to write shorter ones.

Well, let's look carefully at this.

Today we take this for granted. 40 years back this would have been
plain magic. I.e.: There is a change in technology involved in this
whole thing.

exactly, that´s the point

By saying "apt-get install free-software" you are *not* relating to
the original creation. This is simply assumed as given at this point.

only distribution, yes

in cars, the design phase is a small proportion of car cost

in software its a huge proportion

design phase is independient of quantity, distribution not,

so low marginal costs are normal in software.

 If now

1. Production of some physical goods is part of common infrastructure

2. Transportation of these physical goods is part of common
  infrastructure

cost of physical goods are strongly related to quantity.

then you could acquire these goods also with marginal costs. Right?

"cero" marginal costs? (or almost cero) I dont understand "marginal cost"
without a quantifier

physical goods usually have big marginal costs.

If we see technology as an important preconditon then the question is:
How do we get the technology do create an infrastructure for (some)
physical goods similar to computers and the Internet?

you need scarce resources to copy physical stuff, iron , wood, fabric, etc..

--
Diego Saravia
Diego.Saravia gmail.com