Message 00920 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] A response to Michel and Jakob

Hans-Gert,

I appreciate your concern and I agree on the Open Capitalism point and I
have been writing about this since at least 2005, using 'netarchical
capitalism' as a concept .. But the Roman system used coloni, and that
didn't preclude its eventual disappearance and replacement by the feudal
system. Similarly, forces within the feudal system started adopting
capitalist practices, but that didn't prevent its demise and replacement by
capitalism. So, the fact that peer production is used by capital, just as
it is being used by peer producers, is not an argument against the
emancipatory potential and
'reality-of-class-struggle-between-peer.producers-and-netarchical.capital'.

Both can co-exist and actually one is the condition of the other .. there
would have been no capitalism and feudalism without proto-capitalism and
proto-feudalism.

So the question is not to argue relentlessly for the infinity of
capitalism, but to ask ourselves, 'what can we do to change it', what are
the leverage points within the current contradictory system, between a
system based on contradictions, to effect change in our own interest as
workers and peer producers.

Wasn't that the whole point of marxism, i.e. "not to interpret reality, but
to change it"

Do you really think that it is mathematically and physically possible for
an infinite growth system to exist indefinitely ... If yes, I'd like to
hear the arguments for its infinite perennity, which in my understand would
require an overturning of the physical laws that we know. If not, if
capitalism is not infinite, how do we change it.

I'm going to send, in the next email, a copy of my next article for al
jazeera, embargoed please, where I try to show why economies of scope
obtained by peer production, are vital to replace unsustainable economies
of scale of the capitalist system, and why periods of energy descent need
such systems. Since by all accounts we have entered such a period, we have
to contemplate an alternative to the system, either one that is another
ferocious class system, but not based on infinite accumulation; or,
potentially, a commons-based system which prepares the ground for a
transition to classlessness.

But forgive me if I feel that an approach that is centered on exposing the
strengths of the enemy 'again and again', is much less interesting that one
that analyses the strength of an enemy, in order to overcome it and find
the best ways to do this,

Michel