Message 00034 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox-tech] CSS issues (was: Layout)

Hi Stefan

(snip)

This post contains all the issues which can be solved by
tweaking the
CSS. It contains some notes for myself where I record which
settings I
need to tweak. I'll formulate questions where I have them.

6 days ago Stefan Merten wrote:
Last week (12 days ago) Mathieu ONeil wrote:
COLOR
Ideally the colors should match the logo, in any case be
similar to
First Monday as discussed, ie red and black.

AFAICS colors are quite easy to tweak in the themes. The
problem (for
me) is to find a pleasant set of colors, however. Unless we
find a
theme with nice pre-packaged colors I see a problem here - and
unless> someone else is able to do such a job.

In addition the colors chosen for text and frames need to
match the
colors which are used in the various pictures used in the
theme. For
instance the green bar in the old theme was a picture. And the black
top in the new one is also a picture. And the colors need to
match the
various icons a theme comes with. That's why I say this is
really work
for a designer.

If the colors should match the logo we first need an agreed
upon logo.
That seems to me a bit down the road, still.

Colors are one of the main CSS issues. Frankly I find the color
set of
Mimbo nice. If you want a different color set then please come
up with
a suggestion (and frankly don't because given the difficulties with
the easy settings this will be endless...).

OK, well in terms of color a question I have regards the navigation bar and hyperlinks color - light green - I can live with it, but if there are any options I would be interested to see them? Or is that locked into mimbo?
Though if you look at:
http://www.darrenhoyt.com/demo/wordpress/
They have light grey for hyperlinks and nav toolbar...?

-site map, accessibility, contact:
should be smaller, higher and more to the right (like Discover)

Speaking of site map, we need to add "home" and its two categories ("mission statement" and "sub guidelines").

I think such tweaks are possible given we have a base theme. Changes
would be needed in the CSS which is feasible.

A CSS issue. I'd need to tweak the settings for `#portal-siteactions`.
However, your comment related not to Mimbo. Is the current placement
more to your liking?

Yes, thats true. Well its not life or death but I am not convinced that the "accessibility" information deserves such prominence?

Also the login is quite hard to see. Would it be possible to have it far right of the bottom toolbar? (since I'm on that toolbar isn't it a little weird to have a copyright sign for mimbo mag there?)

TOOLBAR
We could try having it in a coloured band like FSF (red?) or
without a band like Discover: it is hard for me to decide without
seeing: as I am not as technically able as Stefan I am here relying
on his goodwill to try different combinations...

Also a question for the CSS.

A CSS issue. I'd need to tweak the settings for `#portal-globalnav`.
Currently there is a background color of #777 which is a dark grey.
This is is probably what you meant by the colored band. Would
you like
me to change this color? To what?

Could we try a lighter grey please?

-Font size
I think the character fonts for the page titles above the dividing
font would look better, see
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/30-ways-the-world-could-end

Dito.

Another CSS issue. The font site in the toolbar is set to
`bold`. I'd
need to tweak this in `#portal-globalnav` again. However, since this
comment was not for Mimbo: Do you still think it is too bold?

This is not about the toolbar font, but about the single page titles above the line.
It is not too bold exactly, but this font does not match the rest of the layout - it needs to be more like arial or geneva or helvetica. Also should be all in not-caps to match the journal title font. I guess arial would be the easiest?

Since we are on fonts could we please have the page explanations under the line (for the Research page: "These long papers focus on key facets of peer production, and report substantial findings. They have been peer reviewed.") not in italics or bold?

-Dividing line
Like us Discover mag uses a line to separate titles from article
content, black dividing lines, also see:
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/30-ways-the-world-could-end
Their line is thicker, which gives more weight to the
structure: I
would be interested to see if this works well for us.

Dito (I think).

Another CSS issue. I'd need to tweak `h1.documentFirstHeading` for
this. Do you still would like to have the line thicker?

If its not too much trouble, I would be interested to see what this would look like, yes.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Message 00034 [Homepage] [Navigation]