Re[2]: [ox-en] a flame of sorts

Hello Benja, thanks for your reply.

BF> With regard to Free Software, I spend a lot of time on development of
BF> GZigZag [http://www.gzigzag.org/], a Free implementation of Ted Nelson's
BF> a new way to structure things
BF> you want to think about (as well as internal data) in computers.
Very interesting. I will have to try it some day.
BF> Besides, I've recently started a tool for Literate Programming
BF> [http://www.literateprogramming.com],
another great project. Very impressive. A friend of mine has a
similair project in russian. His is  More on the humour side.
I would say this is the second best thing after reading actual code
/smile/

BF> [http://sf.net/projects/lyterate/]. It's more lightweight and after
BF> working with it for some time, I like its syntax much better than the
BF> one of the popular Literate Programming tools. I'm currently quite
BF> excited about it ;-)
I took a fast glimpse and it looks worth the excitement
BF> However, I think I'd say Free Software doesn't really count: it's
BF> important, but it's already developing quite well, so I think to get
i think it's still paramount
As far as software and society are concerned.   I think we're still at
the point when a lot can be done with software.

/* that german word  selbstentfaltung is above me, and frankly, i prefer
expressing thoughts in language easy to understand. */

Just one example - EtherBoot http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/ and
http://www.ltsp.org/ LTSP in my opinion mean more to humanity right
now than /* insert theoreticall concept here */.
I know that they Allow classrooms to save thousands of dollars by using old 386-486
computers without harddrives to boot off a server.
And i certainly hope the technology will be used as widely as possible
in Russia.

BF> somewhere with the Oekonux ideas, you'd have to use the often-mentioned
BF> 'principles of Free Software' in... well, *some* other field than Free Software.
My thoughts exactly. Though i am concentrating in promoting free
software in russia right now.  You see, we don't pay for M$.
So how do you get people off the products they've been using on the
desctop for years?

BF> To that end, I'm currently not doing too much. I'm spending some time
BF> writing stories and I'll publish some under a Free license when I find
BF> time to create a website for them.
My website in russian is under copyleft. Some of my articles have been
reproduced quite a bit. I would say that they're free in reality,
because i am not going to enforce someone to follow copyleft.

BF>  I'm imagining that people
BF> interested in learning and people interested in sharing their knowledge
BF> find each other over the internet, and communicate either over mail/chat
BF> or in person if there are enough people interested in some topic in one
BF> place.
There are some very interesting developments in the theory of learning
lately.
In my writings I allways try to encourage people to improve their reading and typing
skills- you would be surprised how many people can't type and read
properly, which is the basis of any usefull communication today. Alas,
i haven't been able to follow up on all the amazing break-throughs in
education. Anyone with knowledge or interest regarding speeding up learning and
information processing, please let me know in private email.
BF>  I'm currently trying that concept out by learning Finnish that
BF> way, myself (of course, that affects only myself; I'm mentioning it here
BF> to emphasize that I'm planning this because I want to use it together
BF> with others, not because I abstractly think 'it'd be a good thing').
I would suggest meeting with finns in real life for speech practice-
that's what works best for me - learning a language by communicating
with native speakers.
BF> I hope to make these projects reality Real Soon Now [*].
Best of luck. I'm sure a lot of people are thinking in similair
directions.
It's just that I for one have no compassion, no understanding and no
forgiveness for empty theorizing that i have noticed some people on
the list indulge in.

BF> I'm understanding that the people theorizing here do that because it
BF> means something to them, because they feel they learn something from it,
BF> and that they do it out of selbstentfaltung. (Sometimes this includes
BF> me, sometimes it doesn't. ;-) ) I think that's a good thing; if you
BF> really like strong words, "I for one have no compassion, no
BF> understanding and no forgiveness for not letting others follow their
BF> Selbstentfaltung, even if it does not seem productive to somebody else
BF> at the time" (as long as it's not harmful to anybody).
A very just and rightfull position. I would like to give a reply to
this after some time- when  /*- if am lucky enough */- some more people
answer.

BF> I think you have
BF> all right in the world not to be interested in theorizing, and to start
BF> your own discussions on more concrete topics-- great if you do! If you
BF> think you know a more productive way to do things, say so, but don't be
BF> disappointed if others don't feel so.
I think i have stressed my opinion on the the need for direct action quite enogh, so as
not to sound like a manic preacher, i'll skip the repetition.

BF> But what I don't like is if you
BF> imply others should not follow their selbstentfaltung because they 'are
BF> not helping society with it' or something like that.
Oh, i don't care for society. I'm a pragmatist. I only care for
myself.
 However, free software has shown that following your best interest
 includes sharing your knowledge with others- among other things.

 I think we can start seeing some interest in free software and
 oekounux as the
 overall awareness, if not education, of society increase.

 Telling everyone that they don't HAVE to work also helps /smile/

 As it is clearly impossible to imagine polititians or even large masses of society
 embracing FS ideas on a global scale

 Best regards, Petr.

                            pomorov mail.ru