Re: [ox-en] Free market and the Internet

On Saturday 01 February 2003 21:27, Russell McOrmond wrote:
  The fact is, however, that if I eat an apple, you can't also eat that
same apple.  We need to arbitrate this rivalry -- sharing (or simply
not hoarding) is one method, and the method I believe in, but the fact
I believe in sharing doesn't change the rivalrous nature of physical
things and the non-rivalrous nature of information.

Humans are continously producing their lifes, they cannot live in other
ways (like animals which just "find" food and others means). Producing
lives is as non-rivalrous as information is. The apple is not found, it
is produced. It is not necessary to share if we can produce another one.

Only if you do production in form of commodities, then you produce
"rivalrousness" (rivalry) - a property not by nature but of society we
live in (yes: free market). The nature of physical things only make it
simpler to keep them scarce compared to information, however, being not
scarce in the sense of always being produced is common.

Ciao,

    Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft ver.di
    Internetredaktion
    Potsdamer Platz 10, 10785 Berlin
--
    stefan.meretz verdi.de