Re: [ox-en] Nazi in Debian Alert

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:27:42PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Rich Walker wrote:
I think the problem Paul sees is that, as a Debian developer, you
have privileged access both to the Debian system and to the personal
information Debian developers have on other such developers. This
is, of course, exactly the sort of access needed if you ever wanted
to subvert the project...

I'm curious to hear more details about how you suspect this sort of
subversion might take place. Debian is an extremely transparent system
-- both internally and between the development team and the larger
community.

Developers are given a certain amount of trust but there is little
that couldn't be reversed rather quickly that I can think of. Think
wikis and defacement here.

As you say, getting useful work out of people whose ideologies you are
in violent disagreement with is an interesting property of the Free
Software community...

And, I would argue, one of the reasons we have been so successful. I
would not describe myself as a libertarian (and would be afraid to
after the maligning they've taken in this thread anyway) but I've
worked very successfully and productively with people who are on
certain projects.

Many FOSS folks are, for example, huge advocates of guns. I'm not. I
make my differences known where and when its appropriate and we work
together where possible, and don't on projects that I think will do
more harm than good to my own causes. I focus my energies in places
that I think will be much more useful for good than for evil like
community content management systems and software for democratic
decision making.

Regards,
Mako

--