Re: [ox-en] Please stop damaging the project!

Hi list!

Yesterday Stefan Merten wrote:
Also I want to note that this mailing list is part of a bigger
project. As the maintainer of this bigger project I feel it as my
responsibility to prevent damage from the project. The current
situation *is* clearly damaging the project, however, so if it does
not regulate itself I feel the need to do something about it.

I quickly skimmed the messages and as it seems the flames went down
again. This is good and I'm really glad that after all the list is
able to regulate itself - at least more or less ;-) .

Thanks for the supportive comments I got by this list and by private
mail. Also I'd like to thank those who actively posted on-topic mails.
I consider regulation by good example the best way to regulate but
unfortunately I'm not able to do this myself at this time.

Some random comments and clarifications.

* projekt oekonux.de is not a German-only list. In fact since Chris
  joined a good number of messages there are in English. Also there
  are now a few English native speakers here so I think the
  involvement of people from this list is better than before. The home
  page is at

	http://www.oekonux.de/projekt/liste/

  and the archive at

	http://www.oekonux.de/projekt/liste/archive/

* You need not obfuscate mail addresses in messages to the Oekonux
  lists. I embedded a filter in MHonArc which obfuscates mail
  addresses in bodies (in headers they are obfuscated anyway).

* The recent events brought up some meta-questions. For instance there
  was a request to kick / ban people from a list. This is a difficult
  question and a number of things need to be considered here. I think
  it is wise to think about this on [pox] at first but may be it is
  useful to make a general poll about this question on the main lists
  at some point.

  Because I guess emotions are still high I think we should be careful
  here. May be it is useful to wait a week or two.

* Please note the purpose of the different lists

	liste oekonux.de
	list-en oekonux.org

  are lists for general discussion of issues on-topic for Oekonux.
  The English list is more or less English only while there are
  English postings on the German list once in a while.

	projekt oekonux.de

  is for the organization of the project as a whole. Most active
  people there are subscribed to all the discussion lists so it is
  usually not useful to duplicate messages on both lists.

	chat oekonux.de

  has been created at some point so people involved in Oekonux have a
  place to discuss topics off-topic for Oekonux. When the list was
  created it has been hoped that off-topic discussions are moved there
  but so far unfortunately this did not work out often. Nonetheless I
  think this is a good idea if there is *really* something to discuss.

* Off-topic mail is disrespectful of the people which joined the list
  for the topics it is advertised for. In now way I can see how
  disrespect adds to any emancipatory concept I can think of. So
  please if you consider yourself interested in human emancipation
  take respect of the people here and don't post off-topic mails.

  (I know it is sometimes hard to decide between on-/off-topic. There
  are no clear and hard guidelines in many cases and I consider this a
  good thing. Please make up your own mind and check whether you find
  it a responsible move to post something here. Until now I think in
  general this worked good and I think we should keep it that way.)

* Please note that on Monday the period for proposing contributions
  for the up-coming conference ends. This means the people interested
  in making the conference a success are very busy with this topic.
  The people we want to invite expect our response and because the
  deadline is late already I think we should concentrate on this now.

Yesterday sandor wrote:
    I see value in maintaining focus - I see value in new concepts. I
believe Stefan is struggling with maintaining both and I wish him
whatever wisdom is needed.

Sandor put it very good. This *is* a difficult thing to accomplish.

Please all help that interesting things are discussed here and most of
all please try hard to behave decently. There were a time when I
praised the nice and respectful atmosphere interested in learning on
the Oekonux lists. A thing I consider one of the key factors for the
success of Oekonux. Unfortunately for the English list I would not
praise this any more because IMHO it is not true any more. Please help
this is possible again and we can be proud of what we are doing here.