Re: [ox-en] New economic model for free technology?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:53:29PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Franz Nahrada wrote:
Stefan Mertten schrieb am Dienstag, 27. September 2005 um 17:45 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]:

When I think of an Oekonuxian perspective I find this a bad approach
because it reintroduces the alienation of the money system back into
Free Projects. It is the customer / boss who says what is good and
what not. At least for software if this would be the best way to do
things than M$ would need to have no fear of Free Software. In other
words: The quality of things produced without this type of alienation
is higher than with alienation.

Hi Stefan, we have shortly discussed these things and
as we noticed  I see that differently. maybe I should explain:

I see that what Karel is developing is a kind of "self-set-goal".
He sets the goal and looks for people to support it.
You cannot equal that with a situation where
"the boss sets the goal".
And you can hardly compare this with a situation where
"the customer sets the goal".
Frithjof Bergman has rightly called the latter the
"slavery to the market" and I think you are right by
putting it into one category with employment.
But Karels benefactors are not necessarily his customers.
I think this makes a lot of difference.
I think that possibility should be part of an Oekonuxian perspective....
there might be faster development if we can also live on what we really
really want to do.

If you won't do what you want, you slip into totalitarianism and
dicature. That's the result of Erich Fromm's theories.

I read Fromm's Fear from Freedom and the book made sense to me.

I can see that working on something that I like makes me like 4 times
faster than something I don't like - why should people waste their
life times?

Hardware development might mean prototyping, material costs etc.

That's negligible. The time is the problem. Material cost is 10% of
Ronja devel cost.

CL<