Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:39:48 +0100
From: jaromil <jaromil dyne.org>
Subject: Re: [piksel] Debian/Ubuntu monopoly (was: bluetooth receiver)
To: p1k53l workshop <piksel bek.no>
[...]
let's see how it is now: in the unlikely situation in which a normal
user has still doubts about who wrote the software, one can look up on
google. and of course obexserver only results are about debian,
because
the original software is called in a different way! (openobex)

also, are you aware that most free software developers do code in
spare
time and currently donations are a major source of motivation for
them?
so tell me, how do the massess correctly realize whom to donate to in
such a situation? in a scenario in which micropayement would work,
debian/ubuntu would *monopolize* everything.

and of course, they know how to make use of it eh, 250.000EU a year
spent in developer meetings among people that compile things
written by
others: http://wiki.debian.org/FriendsOfDebian

Funny but jaromil's concerns remind me very much of the open letter
Bill Gates wrote to "his fellow hackers" complaining about their
pirate copying of his Basic interpreter (IIRC). May be it can be found
somewhere on the web.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.