Re: [ox-en] Rivaly of non-rivalry

On Jan 24, 2008 6:49 AM, Michael Bauwens <michelsub2003 yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Patrick

I accidentally deleted your contribution, so I'm starting a new thread.

Michel,

1. Do you moderate, and have administrative rights over
list-en Oekonux.org?  I'm very surprised, only because I always
thought Stefan or Stefan did that...

2. You apparently read the text but deleted it anyway, and couldn't
recover it?  Your email software should be a bit more forgiving.
Maybe you are trying to give me a hint about something I did wrong?
If I made a social or technical error, could you please tell me
explicitly, as I am extremely dense when it comes to non-literal
communication, and am at a loss as to what I should do differently in
the future.

3. Maybe it was best that text was lost anyway, as most of what I
write incites an unfortunate mixture of boredom and anger.  Rather
that 'sharp' and 'pointed', I tend to be interpreted as both 'dull'
and 'blunt' ;)

What you write is of course true, and it is a very important reminder about the
material basis of everything we do.

Nevertheless, if people like Yochai Benkler,Mark Cooper, and even myself, write
about non-rival or anti-rival resources, we are not denying these truths.

Ok, sorry, that is probably already clear to everyone but me.

Simply that in a particular context, the specific polarity of a good induces very
important logical and physical qualities, which require differential treatment.

This word "polarity" sounds very interesting.  What do you mean by it?

Of course, occasional, we or some others may go astray, forgetting that physical
basis, but in fact we know it.

That both the song and bread have a physical basis is one thing, nevertheless,
because of the marginal cost of reproducing a song over an already existing and
available network, it still makes more sense to share, rather than sell it, so different
solutions must be found to fund that 'general infrastructure'.

By "general infrastructure" are you including creation, distribution
and maintenance of the work?  These are very different things, and I
would like to talk about them separately, but it would help me avoid
being redundant or picking nits if I could understand what is already
obvious or generally understood by you and others.

I am very interested in what it will take to earn a wage from Free
Software for instance, and my general view is that developers must
somehow get connected to the consumers (users) who are willing to
commit to paying for features *before* the work is performed.

I envision this as bug/feature tracking software that helps users
easily add even a tiny "promise to pay" to cumulative bounties from
within the application itself - as a kind of "complaint click" or
"bitch button" that might even be integrated into the application
'frame' next to the [minimize] button...

On the developer side, any worker could sort their view of the bounty
list by reward size (for instance), and probably choose to work on
things they might have already wanted, but this also allows consumers
to drive innovation without possessing the skills themselves by
contracting to reward artisans for accomplishing work that may
otherwise never have incentive to accomplish.  If the work conflicts
with the goals of the worker, the new version can be considered a fork
and even be renamed if those consumers desire, or if the trademark
holders demand.

It will probably usually be best to define that fork as a "patch"
against the main project (think of the Linux kernel for instance) - so
that special version will always easily receive other general
improvements to the mainline without much fuss...

For other art, the artists should also plan to get paid *before* the
performance by selling tickets to limited seating during the recording
or filming, but this will require the consumers own the physical
sources (land, studio, cameras, costumes, etc.) to make it efficient -
otherwise the externality called profit will leak most of the value
away from the community.

What you say doesn't change that, or does it?

I think you are correct, and I was probably only reading to literally,
but I won't be sure until you answer some of the questions above.