Re: [ox-en] Rivaly of non-rivalry

I think that the the point Patrick Anderson makes is relevant in ways which I will try to come back to later, but first, please allow me a short detour.

I'm guessing many people remember the age old philosophical debate over the existence of universals (concepts, ideas, types, etc.). One school (platonists, universalists) think that, in the first place, what exists are ideas and that material objects "take part" or "instantiate" or are imperfect copies of the ideas. On the other extreme, the so-called nominalists think that, in the fist place, what exists are individual material objects, and universals (concepts, etc.) do not exist at all. According to nominalists, there are individual horses, but no universal or ideal "horse" or "horseness"; "horse" is just a name (nomen) for the individual horses.

Now, some time ago I started half in jest playing around with the notion of "digital nominalism". It goes like this. All of the arguments of the copyright industry are based on the assumption that there exists an original (somehow causally connected to an author) out of which near perfect digital copies can be made. This is the power of digitalisation: the copies are, at best, as good as the original (unlike in the case of material objects). The original work, however, need not and often is not itself digital. Moreover, in most copyright legislations what is protected is the "work", not any particular physical copy of it. Now, what if I were to claim that what exists on my computer are particular physical things like electric currents, magnetic polarisations and what not, and that there is, in fact nothing "digital" there. What happens in computers is physics, and no black magic talk about "works" changes that; there is no such thing as a "digital copy" because there is no such thing as a "digital original" (like this horse is not a copy of "horseness").

This is not completely as crazy as it sounds. "Digitality" is not a natural kind. That is, it is not possible to construct a "digitality meter" that starts ticking every time something "digital" is around (because it might be optical, electric, magnetic, chemical, mechanic...). It is possible to construct meters for electricity, magnetism, etc. Unlike those, digitality is in the eye of the beholder. (Proof: i) every digital device easily collapses back into non-digitality with the slightest physical change which renders it unusable without fundamentally changing any of the goings-on, ergo digitality is a mode of operation, not a kind ii) a one-pixel copy of Mona Lisa is equally much a "digital" copy of the painting as a gazillion-pixel copy.) There is nothing in the world as such that forces me to accept that anything like "digitality" exists. (If any depth psychologists out there are willing to learn how far I have taken this joke, there is some hard evidence in "Digital Nominalism. Notes on the ethics of information society in view of the ontology of the digital" Ethics and Information Technology 6, no. 4, pp. 223-231. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10676-005-0350-7)

Finally, to the relevance. Slowly. Because of the "multiple realizability" of a digital "work", it seems like the (alleged) existence of the digital world works as an argument for AI (which also depends on the idea of multiple realizability). However, this sword has two edges. It also means that (almost) every argument against multiple realizability in AI works against "digitality". Which means that if somebody, like me, does not buy multiple realizability, s/he does not buy either AI or digitality. And here is the – admittedly not very sharp but nevertheless decisive and potentially divisive – relevance: it seems to me that most (all?) credible free software/p2p/digital utopias (including, disquietingly, the GNU society) rely on the idea of post-scarcity economics. Moreover, most (all?) credible post-scarcity utopias seem to rely on AI or some other form of universalism (like the idea that DNA is "information" or that human thinking is "information processing").

So, in sum, to quote/paraphrase what Patrick wrote, while the time and energy needed to make a grain of wheat appears to be much more than downloading a copy of a program and running it, if we factor in all the resources required to manufacture the hardware and supply the electricity as compared to growing wheat, it may not be as much of a difference as we imagine, especially if we are talking about the utopian dimension including billions of people (and especially especially if we are talking about it in a non-AI context).

Then again, this leaves Michel's point: in a particular context the differentials between the qualities of "grain" and "movies" allow and even necessitate different treatment.

And, I love the idea of pre-paying for software features/products. Some musicians are doing it, already; like Marillion, who collected the money for their next record by selling it to the fans before it is made (and the fans get their names in the liner notes instead of a record company).

<http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s1[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]-7>