Re: [ox-en] Rivalness - on second thought

Stefan Merten wrote:
Hi!

You might remember that recently I said that copying digital goods is
similar - or even identical - to producing physical goods:

* A digital good always has some physical representation

* To be useful I need a physical representation of that digital good

* The technology of digital copy makes production of a copy very
  simple - given there is an original to copy

I now stumbled across the concept of rivalness again and merged it
into that thought above. I could say:

* The physical representation of a digital good is rival

  The physical representation of a digital good is in someone's
  possession. It is *not* magically in the possession of someone else.
  So this someone else can not use it. I think this is the definition
  of rivalness.

Non-rivalness of digital goods comes into being only because of the
technology of digital copy. But in the end it is a certain
(re)production technology which makes this possible.

I agree completely. This is too often forgotten. It is forgotten i) by enthusiasts who think that the digital economy is completely "spectral", "malleable", "virtual", whatever. It isn't. The digital is physical (electro-opto-chemical), or it is not at all. It is also forgotten ii) by people who believe that illegal copying can be stopped. It can't. The point of digital computers is to make near-perfect copies. One definition of the digital is "the kind of analogue that makes near-perfect copying reliable enough". Stopping copying means stopping digitality.
If this makes sense this would shed a very interesting light on the
concept of rivalness in the digital domain.

Comments?