Re: [ox-en] Re: The nature of apple trees

hi Stefan,

though we have very different views on the issue i certainly respect you and the valuable important work you do for os.:)

but while exchange and money
certainly have their drawbacks, it has contributed also quite a bit
towards development of mankind.

It contributed *a lot* to this development - no doubt. Just as
feudalism contributed *a lot* to this development before. But we are
at the beginning of a new era where the potential of exchange and
money is overcome by a new economical system being not based on
exchange.

whats the difference between a slave and a worker? the latter has money as an effective exchange tool available to selbstentfalt him/herself when (s)he is not being forced to spend 40 hours per week to do a job thats necessary for a society to function well. seems like a reasonable (improvable, not abolishable) system to me. sorry, i just cant picture a world where everyone is free and basically does what (s)he wants and things overall still work. there are just too many boring, repetitive (even interesting, repetitive tasks often become boring over time), and "servant" tasks outthere that need to be done.

imv, money is a very pragmatic and
effective tool to get whats needed

If you need to force / coerce people to do so: Yes. In Free Software
you don't need to force / coerce people to do useful things.

i think you totally underestimate the importance of money, companies and exchange ("structural force") in OS projects. Michel made an informative posting regarding the considerable role of money/companies a while ago on this list here. also http://dirkriehle.com/computer-science/research/2007/computer-2007-article.html (references 4,5 and 6 with job prospects and financial incentives).

im wondering on basis of what real world evidence one can be so 200% sure that a world without money and exchange is more effective, desireable and
better?!?

Of course this is hard to see if you only look at the surface. To be
200% sure you need to understand the change in the mode of production.

you (and others here) certainly know more about the theoretical economic background; still, i dare to say that in the 7 years that ive been actively working in the os realm ive also gained some insights that go beyond the surface. basically, my impression that ive got over time is that - as a rule with exceptions (like apache) - the most successful os projects have exchange, money and corporate backers involved to a large degree. if this rule-exception assumption is indeed true, then it does not seem very logical to me to abolish key success factors which are to a large degree responsible for separating successful from unsucessful os projects (least build a new world order on this basis).

cheers,