Selling Free Software (was: Re: [ox-en] Apple trees (aka capitalism) are bad. What about barter exchange?)

Hi Amine and all!

5 days ago Amine Chadly wrote:
For the first time, I am not sure I can agree with something you wrote
Stefan and it's regarding free software ;-)

Thank you for the flowers :-) .

You can sell free software (gpl doesn't require you to produce/give
your code for free,
but to make the source available and accept free redistribution of it
- look at http://www.elivecd.org/Download/Stable
for example, it's a linux distribution for which you have to make a
donation to access to the stable version of it).

True. I was a bit sloppy.

In fact you can sell Free Software and in fact this is the business
model for Free Software produced on order.

However, in practice this business model only works for
not-yet-existing software. The freedom to redistribute normally means
that you can download it from somewhere. It just needs someone who
finds it a good idea to put it to the Internet for free.