Re: Profit and Value, was: Re(2): [ox-en] extrinsic motivation = coercion

Contrast the definition of equilibrium in economics to the definition of
stagnation or systemic death in cybernetics. Notice that there's a
difference between "equilibrium" and "no activity".

A system in equilibrium is stable but not necessarily systemically dead.
Systemically dead systems invariably get replaced by more alive systems,
much in the same way as exploded systems (as in Markov explosions) get
reset to random states.

See W. Ross Ashby's "Introduction to Cybernetics" and any introductory
text to self-organization for details on the jargon.

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/ is always a good start.

 - Smári

marc fawzi wrote:
This in itself is already a myth. In a true equilibrium (if that would
exist) there wouldn't be any exchange.
Of course, there is no equilibrium. We are living in a world of massive
consumption, producing a lot of waste.
So trying equilibrium-based theories is doomed to fail.

I agree it's a myth. However, in a true equilibrium anyone who wishes
to get X number or amount of some good or service should be able to do
so at the median cost of that good or service + a fixed profit
'margin' ... However, this model itself is not viable given the flawed
tendencies we have as human beings, which I'd yet to boil down to a
coherent problem statement (although you can see parts of the problem
in discussions like [p2p research] the abundance of art)