Re: [ox-en] GPL Society Manifesto?

Hi Chris,

Loved the photos of Berlin by the way!

Check out eben moglen's "Dotcommunist manifesto". Unfortunately it's only in video lecture form for the moment, but he promises that he's transcribing it.

http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/24/1713255&mode=nested

Here's a taste:
 " A spectre is haunting multinational capitalism -- the spectre of free information. All the powers of globalism have entered into an unholy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Microsoft and Disney, the World Trade Organization, the United States Congress and the European Commission.

Where are the advocates of freedom in the new digital society who have not been decried as pirates, anarchists, communists?

Have we not seen that many of those hurling the epithets were merely thieves in power, whose talk of intellectual property was merely an attempt to retain unjustifiable priveliges in a world irrevocably changing?

But it is acknowledged by all powers of globalism that the movement for freedom is itself a power.
And it is high time that the movement for freedom should publish our views in the face of the whole world to meet this nursery tale of the spectre of free information with a manifesto of our own.

That's where it begins....."

The full lecture is available at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/moglen/

cheers,
a.
Hi

One idea I has the other day was for us to write a manifesto for a Free
society, like a updated version of the Communist Manifesto [1].

  A spectre is haunting the planet -- the spectre of Free software...

I also agree that the book idea is a good one.

Chris

[1] http://www.marxists.org.uk/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/

--
weblog: http://chris.croome.net/#blog
photos: http://chris.croome.net/photos/

             http://slash.autonomedia.org
collaborative authorship : collective memory: mass intellectuality
              http://www.infoanarchy.org