Re: [ox-en] Alternative currencies and Oekonux (was: Re: Autonomy)

On Thursday 13 April 2006 01:46, Nadav Har'El wrote:
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006, magius wrote about "Re: [ox-en] Alternative currencies
and Oekonux (was: Re: Autonomy)":
Imho you're going around the problem. i wish to put it to you
*brutally*: how do you take bread to live? finding bread is necessary.
how do you solve this problem? working in the capitalistic system.
that has probably nothing to do on how free software "works" ;-)

I'm not sure I understand your question. It is true that in a world where
food costs money, or even land to grow your own food costs money, you
need money, and you have to follow society's rules on how to get it
(namely, capitalism).
But, I don't see what this has to do with free software.

when you're working for the man (eg ibm), you're not working for yourself - ie
coding as a hobby or as an adjunct to the paid work you have to do to
survive.

consider that community currencies (cc) can be used to pay people to do that
which they love...cc is also complementary currencies rather than alternative
currencies which stands in opposition to normal money.

remember shareware?  it doesn't work very well because even many of us who
wanted to pay, didn't - food, rent and beer came first.

having our own money (cc) means we can pay for "free" software - AND child
care, elder care, art, local organic food, etc - we have more money to work
with (created as needed) and they recirculate in the communities they serve.

meanwhile, ibm, apple, macrohard are making money from your work only to
enrich those who are already filthy rich and using their money to destroy the
world.

ernie