Message 00048 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox-tech] CSS issues

Hi Stefan, all

  Apologies for late reply on this one...

 Regarding the navigation bar color I think the original choice (light  green) worked better: the new version is too faint, makes it hard to  see.

 Concerning the toolbar it is also hard to read now. Also the names of  pages are sort of a bit too high in the toolbar. If you look at this  example:
 http://warp.net/
 you will see what I mean, their titles (Explore, Records...) are better  centered (they also don't look so thick - if ours are in bold, this may  not be necessary). This could be because of our setup, when you click  over a page title there is a black square that appears but there is a  piece of grey toolbar that remains underneath? In any case white on  light grey is hard to read; grey should be a bit darker I think.

 (more below)

 (snip)

The light grey I found there is more or less #E0E0E0. I changed the
navigation bar background to that color and also all the foreground
color of links. However, the links are now nearly invisible because
they are typically light grey on white. This needs to be changed.
Suggestions?

I think such tweaks are possible given we have a base
theme. Changes
would be needed in the CSS which is feasible.

A CSS issue. I'd need to tweak the settings for `#portal-
siteactions`.>> However, your comment related not to Mimbo. Is
the current placement
more to your liking?

Yes, thats true. Well its not life or death but I am not
convinced that the "accessibility" information deserves such
prominence?

Well, it's an important Plone feature and I also currently don't know
where I can tweak that :-( . I could modify the position a bit,
however. In particular I could move it to the right by modifiying
#portal-siteactions/padding. Please say so if you want this.

Also the login is quite hard to see. Would it be possible to
have it far right of the bottom toolbar? (since I'm on that
toolbar isn't it a little weird to have a copyright sign for
mimbo mag there?)

I made the login bold and larger so it stands out more. Moving
it to
somewhere else is difficult.

 OK

Last week (12 days ago) Mathieu ONeil wrote:
TOOLBAR
We could try having it in a coloured band like FSF (red?) or
without a band like Discover: it is hard for me to decide
without>> >> seeing: as I am not as technically able as Stefan I
am here relying
on his goodwill to try different combinations...

Also a question for the CSS.

A CSS issue. I'd need to tweak the settings for `#portal-
globalnav`.>> Currently there is a background color of #777
which is a dark grey.
This is is probably what you meant by the colored band. Would
you like
me to change this color? To what?

Could we try a lighter grey please?

Done.

 See above.

-Font size
I think the character fonts for the page titles above the
thick; a finer
font would look better, see
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/30-ways-the-world-
could-end

Dito.

Another CSS issue. The font site in the toolbar is set to
`bold`. I'd
need to tweak this in `#portal-globalnav` again. However,
since this
comment was not for Mimbo: Do you still think it is too bold?

This is not about the toolbar font, but about the single page
titles above the line.
It is not too bold exactly, but this font does not match the
rest of the layout - it needs to be more like arial or geneva or
helvetica.
Well, this is a typical style element to have the headers in a serif
font and the text in a sans-serif font - which is probably the
difference you see. In fact this is one of the few places where mixing
serif and sans-serif is considered good practice.

Therefore I didn't change this and suggest keeping it this way.

 Well, to me it is quite dissonant to have a different scheme like that; I  suggest we wait until there is more text underneath to see what it  looks like?

Also should be all in not-caps to match the journal title font.

Oops - that one I forgot. I'd need to change
`h1.documentFirstHeading/text-transform`. However, I'd suggest keeping
it the way it is. Please repeat this point if you really want this
changed.

 Well, if is a different font then it doesnt matter so much. Ideally for  me those titles should match the journal title so be in the helvetica /  arial font family and all in not caps. But like I said before lets wait  for articles until we decide, if that is OK with you.

Since we are on fonts could we please have the page
explanations under the line (for the Research page: "These long
papers focus on key facets of peer production, and report
substantial findings. They have been peer reviewed.") not in
italics or bold?

Done.

 OK, thanks.

-Dividing line
Like us Discover mag uses a line to separate titles from article
content, black dividing lines, also see:
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/30-ways-the-world-
could-end
Their line is thicker, which gives more weight to the
structure: I
would be interested to see if this works well for us.

Dito (I think).

Another CSS issue. I'd need to tweak
`h1.documentFirstHeading` for
this. Do you still would like to have the line thicker?

If its not too much trouble, I would be interested to see what
this would look like, yes.

It is now 3 pixels wide (was 1 pixel).

 OK, thanks.

AFAICS these were all the CSS related points.

 OK. Will put the categories in when I have some more time, am rushing off now; hopefully tomorrow.

 cheers

 Mathieu

Message 00048 [Homepage] [Navigation]