Message 00050 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox-tech] CSS issues

Hi Mathieu!

6 days ago Mathieu ONeil wrote:
 Regarding the navigation bar color I think the original choice (light  green) worked better: the new version is too faint, makes it hard to  see.

I guess by "navigation bar" you mean the "Site Map", "Accessibility",
... links.

It was dark green, indeed. I reverted this. This applies to *all*
links (i.e. text where you click on and end up somewhere else).

Because this change has such a high impact I didn't fiddle with the
colors in this stuff:

 Concerning the toolbar it is also hard to read now. Also the names of  pages are sort of a bit too high in the toolbar. If you look at this  example:
 http://warp.net/
 you will see what I mean, their titles (Explore, Records...) are
 better  centered

I changed this by changing vertical #portal-globalnav/a/padding from 6
to 9 pixels. However, this is fiddling with single pixels and may
depend on factors such as the actually installed font. In other words:
It may look right to you but may break for someone else.

(they also don't look so thick - if ours are in bold, this may  not
be necessary).

Removed boldness.

This could be because of our setup, when you click  over a page
title there is a black square that appears but there is a  piece of
grey toolbar that remains underneath?

Gone with the padding change.

In any case white on  light grey is hard to read; grey should be a bit darker I think.

As I said I didn't change this. Please make a suggestion for the
background and the foreground color.

This is not about the toolbar font, but about the single page
titles above the line.
It is not too bold exactly, but this font does not match the
rest of the layout - it needs to be more like arial or geneva or
helvetica.
Well, this is a typical style element to have the headers in a serif
font and the text in a sans-serif font - which is probably the
difference you see. In fact this is one of the few places where mixing
serif and sans-serif is considered good practice.

Therefore I didn't change this and suggest keeping it this way.

 Well, to me it is quite dissonant to have a different scheme like that; I  suggest we wait until there is more text underneath to see what it  looks like?

Well, if you look at typical printed text like in a newspaper you will
see that "dissonance" often.

Well, it doesn't really matter to me. I killed it in all places where
it occured. (Obviously the designer had something in mind when he did
this...)

Also should be all in not-caps to match the journal title font.

Oops - that one I forgot. I'd need to change
`h1.documentFirstHeading/text-transform`. However, I'd suggest keeping
it the way it is. Please repeat this point if you really want this
changed.

 Well, if is a different font then it doesnt matter so much. Ideally for  me those titles should match the journal title so be in the helvetica /  arial font family and all in not caps. But like I said before lets wait  for articles until we decide, if that is OK with you.

Since it's no longer a different font I changed this, too.

Message 00050 [Homepage] [Navigation]