Message 00080 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Getting clearer (was: Re: [jox-tech] Re: Unclear how the journal works)

Hi Mathieu!

3 days ago Mathieu ONeil wrote:
I looked at your use cases again

Thanks for this. For me this is really constructive!

and don't find them that specific either:
-who decides who gets to be a contributor

My proposal was that a contributor is based on a self-selection.
According to the use cases a contributor may post proposals or
articles and I understood that this should be open to everyone without
asking for permission.

and access the site? at least with the list potential mischief is minimised

The use case descriptions grant access to the site for a contributor
only to his/her own stuff so I don't see what can go wrong here.

-how do reviews travel from reviewers to authors?

The channel review results move to the authors would be the page in
the site.

completely
transparently? this can only inhibit candid reviews IMO

Indeed the use cases don't describe this in depth. In fact they don't
distinguish between various sub-roles of responsibles. This is due to
the fact that a year ago I didn't have that clear - as I wrote in the
accompanying mail.

I'd like to update the use cases with this in mind:

* Create a separate reviewer role

* A reviewer may have an alias which is different from his name so he
  can act anonymously but still is traceable

* An additional use case adding reviewers to a submitted article

* Create an editor role

* Make the use case of adding reviewers available only to the editor

* Limit the availability of review activities to the respective
  reviewers

* Add an object type of review results which is created by a reviewer

* Add a use case entering a review result

* Add a use case of viewing review results which initially is
  available only, the reviewer and the editor

* Add a use case where the review results are approved by the editor
  and then are available to the author of the article

-I don't see why there could not be more than one method of
submitting, depending on how trusted you are (as I said before a
centralised tracking system would be better)

According to the use cases described submission of articles is open
for contributors and thus needs no special trust. But I'm not sure
whether this answers the point you are making.

If you talk of technical channels such as site or mail: To get
transparency we need a centralized tracking system which I think the
site is the optimal place for. We may allow for initial mail
submissions but they need to be put to the site and processed there to
have some standardization in the process. This only requires an
account for the submitter - which IMHO is not asked to much.

-re the mailing list it is described on the site as an integral part
of the process, I wont go into that again, I am not "silently"
changing anything, see the Toni Prug article which we quote on the
site about community vetting and feedback. everyone gets to see it

Now I understood that the community aspect is an important one for
you. I agree with that. However, a mailing list is only one way to
implement it. Nowadays web based tools are commonplace so I don't see
why this shouldn't work. In particular since a community around the
proposals / submissions / reviews has all these artifacts to deal with
I think a web based tool is more useful in this case.

A web based solution can and should have an option for notification on
changes by email. But contrary to a mailing list such a notification
option allows for people to subscribe in those topics they are really
interested in.

Please note that IMHO this is different from the organizational
aspects of the project. IMHO a mailing list is better suited for this
purpose.

-by the way, only proposals - summaries are supposed to be posted to
the list, so it makes perfect sense to post the whole paper on the
site

I don't understand this.

-I will post all research paper submissions (three so far) to the website

:-)

-I will document better

:-)

-But I insist that there needs to be some confidentiality about
reviews - this can only be done because one person, known as the
editor, acts as an intermediary between reviewers and authors

No problem. See above.

-I suppose it boils down to trust. Do you really think I am on a
power trip or whatever? My only aim is to publish the best content
possible. If you don't believe me, what can I say

As I said on the main list trust - or rather: controlling power - is
one aspect about transparency. Enabling others to do some work is
another one.

pps. More responses below>>>